Special Event Rentals
Check us out on Flikr.
Featured on Burgh Brides!
Book Your Next Event Here!
Want your next meeting or event to be... well, special? Then don't go to the same old location. Go to the edges of the universe! Align your molecules at a place where atmosphere, energy, exploration, and just plain fun collide.
If you want to make a splash (or a boom!) for your next event, think Carnegie Science Center. Our North Shore location offers magnificent city views, convenient parking, awesome exhibits, and cool ideas for truly original events.
Our special events and catering team will help you create an event that's unique, memorable, and affordable.
Call our Special Events Team at 412.237.1651 or e-mail to see our space.
* Group Admission can be added on to any daytime room rental. Please see the Group Admissions page for pricing.
* Parking is directly in front of our building! Your guests can pay on their own or you can host it for them.
* All Event Rentals include: Basic A/V, Tables/Chairs, Security, Custodial Services and Event Supervision
Below is a list of our event spaces:
- Accommodates: 200 seated, 150 seated with buffet or dance floor, 300 cocktails
- Views of the city and rivers; Includes 2 adjacent exhibits
- Corporate Dinners, Holiday Parties, Wedding Receptions, Rehearsal Dinners, Fundraising Galas, Social Events
Science Stage - 1st Floor
- Accommodates: 300 seated
- Theater style seating; equipped with a/v such as a podium / microphone, large screen, projector, theater lighting and much more!
- Perfect for large presentations or award ceremonies
Second Floor Exhibit Area
- Accommodates: 50 seated, 150 cocktails.
- Explore the world's largest permanent robotics exhibition, roboworld™ and take a walking tour of western Pennsylvania at the world-renowned Miniature Railroad & Village®.
- Corporate Receptions, Holiday Parties, Rehearsal Dinners, Fundraising Galas, Social Events.
Buhl Planetarium - Second Floor
- Accommodates: 146 seated
- This high-definition, full-dome experience will take you to the far reaches of the galaxy.
- Bring a group in for a just a show or add one onto your special event. Choose from our daily schedule or from our library of Planetarium and Laser Shows.
Works Theater and 4th Floor Exhibits
- Accommodates: 100 seated, 200 cocktails
- We can mix up cool cocktails with liquid nitrogen, fog up your atmosphere and fire up the Van de Graff generator to literally make your hair stand on end. Includes Exploration Station & Exploration Station Jr.
- Corporate Dinners, Holiday Parties, Wedding Receptions, Rehearsal Dinners, Social Events, Bar and Bat Mitzvahs, Birthday Parties
5th Floor Balcony
- Accommodates: 50 seated, 100 cocktails
- Our 5th floor balcony and observatory is equipped with a high powered telescope for your guests to gaze at distant galaxies. Perfect way to end an evening under the stars or watch the boats pass during the day!
- Accommodates: 300 cocktails
- Highmark SportsWorks® offers nearly 30 interactive experiences in three thematic areas: LifeWorks, Physics of Sports, and Sports Challenge.
- Not only is this fun for children but adults as well. Climb the 24 foot Rock Wall, find out how fast you can throw a baseball or jump on the trampoline, Bounce! Ask about our Team Building Activities.
- Corporate Receptions, Meetings, Bar and Bat Mitzvahs, Birthday Parties, Fundraisers etc.
- Accommodates: 80 seated with stools & chairs; 40 seat with round tables
- Book a live demonstration for your group and explore nutrition, healthy lifestyle choices, physical fitness, anatomy, and medical technology.
- Each demonstration is about 30 minutes. Please see our BodyStage page for a list of shows.
Why not rent the entire Main Building?! Includes all floors, all our interactive exhibits and even add on a few shows and demonstrations! The sky is the limit with a Full Building rental! Please call Sara for some fun ideas and pricing.
- Wean Family Overlook Room - Seats 40
- Main Building Classrooms - (1 & 2- Seats 40 and 4 & 5- Seats 40)
- Science Stage - Seats 300 (Theater Style Seating)
- Sportsworks Classrooms - Seats 60
Or bring the science to your venue!
Bring the stars to your special event with our portable planetarium.
Transport your guests to the starry heavens without ever leaving your venue. Our portable planetarium makes weddings, proms, graduations, and parties even more memorable. Guests can drift into and out of our star shows for as long as they like, and we’ll even customize the shows to your interests.
Want to travel to Jupiter? Want to see the planets? Let’s go!
We’ll navigate your intergalactic adventure.
Cost: $240/2 hours; Travel fees may apply.
Call 412.449.0157 with questions or to book.
Photos © 2015 Joe Pucciarelli
Liquid Nitrogen Smoothies
Offer your guests a beverage option they won’t find anywhere else – cocktails, "mock"tails, or fruit juice frozen with liquid nitrogen into a delicious slush. You provide the beverage, and we provide the liquid nitrogen and presenter to serve up the icy treat.