Middle School and High School Programs
March 6-9, 2018
Carnegie Science Center
For more info:
Presenters' DOs and DON'Ts
Why are you doing this?
- You and your company are ambassadors to the community.
- You are the best person to present the principles of your profession and its career opportunities. This is valuable information for the young scientists, engineers and researchers in our community. This continues to build an educated science and technological work-force... and promotes the future of Pittsburgh and this region.
On Presentation Days Plan to:
- Arrive early, be ready to interact with potential future scientists.
- Bring a positive attitude!
- Dress business casual and look professional.
- Approach visitors in the aisle who look at your presentation.
- Use open-ended questions.
- Thank visitors for stopping.
General Presentation Tips:
- Smile and be receptive.
- Stand in front or alongside of your presentation.
- Your ID badge should be on the right side — up high. If you shake hands with visitors, they will be able to read your name easier.
- Possess more than adequate knowledge about your presentation.
- Don't hesitate to talk to the visitors walking by. They may be too shy to start the conversation!
- Write a short script for all the presenters to have as a basis for their informal presentation.
On Presentation Days Plan to Avoid:
- Ignoring visitors who don't speak to you first!
- Talking more than 5 minutes to any one visitor.
- Drinking at the booth.
- Eating at the booth.
- Looking bored... or like you'd rather be someplace else!
- Chewing gum.
After the Presentation:
- Prepare a brief critique and suggestions for next year's presenters. Note the 'lessons learned' — both good and bad!
Being knowledgeable includes:
- Your presentation
- Your product
- Your field
- Your career
Questions to Ask Yourself:
- How do you plan to get the public involved?
- Do you have a catchy opening phrase?
- Is there something you can hand them? This is a way to get them involved!
Key Words to Keep in Mind!
How to Take Part
Exhibitor Resource Materials