Middle School and High School Programs
March 7-10, 2017
Carnegie Science Center
For more info:
412.237.3400, then press 7
Career Discovery Trek
Career Discovery Trek will be part of SciTech Days for students who choose to participate. Details follow.
- Scavify is a free mobile scavenger hunt app that allows students (ages 13 and older*) to answer questions, take photos, and engage with material and activities.
- Students explore STEM careers in greater detail engaging with SciTech Days exhibits throughout the building by completing tasks that give them direction and also allow for personal reflection.
- Students earn points for each task they complete and can track their progress.
- Teachers can submit an application to receive 3 hours of ACT 48 Credit.
- Lime green tables on each floor will hold instructions and materials for working the Career Discovery Trek including whiteboards and markers to write messages/draw pictures that can then be photographed and included as answers to the trek questions.
- All students have to do is download the free app. After that, they just have to find our scavenger hunt by entering its name “Career Discovery Trek.”
- Encourage students not only to bring their smartphones to SciTech Days but also to download the app in advance.
- Students can share a cell phone and each do their own ‘Trek’.
- Students pick what exhibits to visit to answer their trek questions.
Some sample questions:
- Learn about a career from the Carnegie STEM Girls exhibit. Write down the career and snap a photo. Hint: There are writing stations with green tablecloths on each floor.
- Find and scan the QR code at the FedEx booth.
- Find a college that interests you and take a selfie at the school’s table.
- What is your favorite career/exhibit on the 2nd floor? Take a picture of what you like best about it.
- Find an environmental exhibit and take a photo of someone at the exhibit, somehow indicating what their job is. Hint: There are writing stations with green tablecloths on each floor.
How to Download
- Students can download the app one of two ways
- They can search for it in the App Store (iOS) or Google Play Store (Android)
- If they have a QR code reader they can simply scan the QR codes on this pdf.
- In advance of your visit – call or email Geri Baker (412.237.1552, email@example.com)
- During SciTech – visit the SciTech information booth in the Main lobby
“You must be at least 13 years old to use the Service.”
“All data, text, files, location information, comments, usernames, images, graphics, photos, profiles, works of authorship, applications, links and other content or materials (collectively, “Content”) that is transmitted via the Service is the responsibility of the originator of such Content and Scavify cannot ensure the accuracy or authenticity of any such Content. You acknowledge and agree that you access any Content at your own risk and you will be solely responsible for any damage or loss to you or any other party resulting therefrom.”