Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh is firmly committed to equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, citizenship status, veteran status, non job-related disability or genetic information as those terms are defined under applicable law.
JOB ID: 1554
JOB TITLE: Director of Marketing, Carnegie Museum of Art
DESCRIPTION: Carnegie Museum of Art is one of the most dynamic major art institutions in America. Our collection of more than 35,000 objects features a broad spectrum of visual arts, including painting and sculpture; prints and drawings; photographs; architectural casts, renderings, and models; decorative arts and design; and film, video, and digital imagery. Through our programming, exhibitions, and publications, we frequently explore the role of art and artists in confronting key social issues of our time, combining and juxtaposing local and global perspectives. With our unique history and resources, we strive to become a leader in defining the role of art museums for the 21st century.
This senior-level position provides an audience-centric attitude that connects people with the museum's content and experiences.
- Development and implementation of exhibition-specific and general museum annual and long-range marketing and communications planning for CMOA
- Collaborating with the director of marketing for Carnegie Museum of Natural History to develop and execute marketing strategies for the Oakland facility as a whole
- Providing a strategic marketing perspective to the museum's director and senior management regarding exhibitions, programs, visitor services/volunteers, and operations, and serves as a member of the museum's senior management team
- Supporting the efforts of corporate areas such as advancement and membership, as their efforts relate to promoting the museum
- Directing the museum's advertising programs and budget, and encourages cross-museum collaborations to generate greater awareness and/or revenue for the museums
- Overseeing media relations, branding, social media, digital marketing, and works with other external-facing departments to manage the museum website
- Overseeing social programs developed by the museum's manager of social experiences and provides frequent on-site assistance with these events.
- Liaising with membership, marketing directors at the other Carnegie Museums, and corporate communications to improve communication and encourage efficiency
- Working closely with the CMOA Store to achieve an attractive merchandise mix and effective promotional campaigns
- Managing communications crises as needed, providing leadership and advice to museum director, PR staff, and corporate communications.
- Providing team-oriented, motivational leadership and is able to coach and manage teams of people with diverse backgrounds.
The position offers an opportunity to have a lasting impact on the future of the museum and the region's cultural development.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: A Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications, or related field and at least seven years of marketing experience is required with a record of successful career growth.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES: The candidate must have a nuanced understanding of the values of a mission-driven organization; preference is given to candidates with nonprofit marketing experience, ideally in a museum or related cultural institution. Strong analytical skills are necessary as is experience in media relations, community outreach, public relations, and advertising. It is particularly important for the candidate to have demonstrated success running digital marketing campaigns. The ideal candidate should possess a proven ability to develop and successfully implement a strategic marketing plan, along with excellent communication skills, both oral and written; strong interpersonal and supervisory skills; knowledge of marketing research; and budgeting and administrative skills. The position requires flexibility and ability to juggle multiple competing priorities under pressure.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Work is primarily sedentary in nature, the job requires the ability to work with a computer for long periods of time; occasional evening and weekend work as required.
Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh is interested in candidates who, through their experience and collaborations, will contribute to the diversity and excellence of the Carnegie Museums community.
The following PA Act 153 clearances, or proof of application of clearances, are required prior to beginning employment and as a condition of continued employment:
• Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance
• Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check
• FBI Fingerprint Criminal Background Check
Obtaining the required clearances is part of the orientation process. However, if you would like more information, please visit Keep Kids Safe.
Carnegie Museums is an EEO-1 Affirmative Action Employer-M/F/Veteran/Disability.