Science on the Road
For more info on this program or any of our offerings, call 412.237.3374.
Wild By Design
Zoology, Physics, Engineering, Regional Science
For grades 1–8
If you want to build something bigger, better, faster, or stronger, chances are you can find the answer in nature. Nature has been running field tests for millions of years, and this show demonstrates how scientists can take the best of what nature has learned and apply it to new technology.
In engaging, interactive demonstrations, Wild By Design serves up numerous examples.
- A video showing a slinky being thrown off a roof six feet above the ground is used to explain how the tension in the toy is similar to the interplay of muscles in an elephant's trunk. Studying those trunk muscles have helped researchers improve the range of motion in robots.
- To explore the natural engineering of the giraffe, a zookeeper on video explains how the giraffe's heart, blood vessels and skin keep its blood flowing smoothly, allowing it to eat from the treetops and bend over for a drink of water. Next, students are invited on stage to try out a pump simulating the animal's massive heart. Then we bring in scientists and engineers in a 'video conference' describing how new developments in medical technology, and even G-suits for fighter pilots, have been inspired by the giraffe's unique biology.
- Take a look at wind turbine blades inspired by whale fins. Discover why their bumps or tubercles help to reduce drag in the water. Scientists are using this same design to build more efficient fan and turbine blades.
- Finish with a bang while experimenting with a the power of pressure. Enjoy a demonstration of the Knob Pinecone’s survival strategy in which we model its explosive release of seeds in a time delayed reaction. Fire suppression systems used on Earth and in Space operate in a similar way.
Wild By Design All-Day Adventure
Keep the excitement going all day long! The journey begins with the Wild By Design assembly show, then moves to Adventure Stations where all the key concepts will be reinforced with hands-on activities that kids love.
Our staff will be at your site for a full day. We can do All-Day Adventures for up to 480 students per day, two hours per class. $850, all inclusive!
What You'll Need:
- Two separate spaces, one for the assembly and one for the Adventure Stations
- 15–20 adult volunteers or high school students. (Your Carnegie Science Center presenter will conduct a training workshop for volunteers 45 minutes before the first scheduled group)
Length: two hours per class. Science on the Road is at your site for a full day.
Capacity: 480 students per day
Fee: $850, all inclusive
Wild By Design Hour-Long Adventure
If you're short on time or space, try one of these smaller (but still mighty!) assembly shows. Turn one of our all-day experiences into a program that works with your schedule and budget. These programs come with lots of great bells and whistles, just like our day-long programs. These short assemblies will make a huge impact on your students!
Capacity: 250 students
Time required: 45-60 minutes
$475, includes set-up and one presentation
$225 for each additional presentation
Produced in partnership with PPG
Special thanks to Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium