Teaching Excellence Academy
2017-18 Professional Development Offerings
Sharpen your STEM pedagogy skills with Carnegie Science Center's Teaching Excellence Academy. The Teaching Excellence Academy offers opportunities for educators in all grade levels, with specific workshops in STEM, early learner education, and the engineering design process.
Act 48 credit and certificate of participation provided upon successful completion of each workshop. Workshops are held at Carnegie Science Center on Pittsburgh's North Shore. Prices include free parking.
Or bring the workshop to you!
In addition to one-time workshops, Carnegie Science Center offers its Professional Development Package. This package features multiple opportunities for professional development to be delivered on-site at your school throughout the academic year.
Teaching Excellence Academy Professional Development Package
Carnegie Science Center invites schools and school districts to take advantage of its Professional Development Package, featuring an array of educational opportunities for teachers to hone their skills. This subscription model offers the inside track to comprehensive professional development for educators. The one-academic-year package is customizable for schools and districts of all sizes.
- "STEM Principles" Presentation – This 90-minute introductory presentation with question-and-answer time is delivered at your school to your entire staff and covers the basics defining "What is STEM."
- Individualized Coaching Meeting – A Science Center STEM expert will conduct a 90-minute workshop at your school with a select group of educators, to develop a tailored plan to strengthen your school's STEM curriculum.
- Half-day Teaching Excellence Academy Professional Development Workshop – Choose from an array of workshops designed to train teachers in STEM education best practices. Workshops feature project-based learning, inquiry, early learner education, gaming in the classroom, makerspace technologies, and more.
- School-Business Partnership Opportunities – We'll provide a School-Business Partnership Guide and the opportunity for a select number of staff to attend an annual STEM educator/business networking event aimed at helping build meaningful partnerships between businesses and schools in your community.
- Educator Networking Events – Network with and learn from fellow educators at Carnegie Science Center events designed to help facilitate collaboration between educators, schools, and districts.
- STEM Competitions Support – Interested in getting your kids involved with Carnegie Science Center STEM events or competitions? We will provide a STEM programs staff member to visit your school for one 90-minute workshop to share resources and ideas to help get you started at your school.
- Carnegie STEM Excellence Pathway Series and/or Educator Professional Development Workshops – Whether you are interested in the full suite of Pathway workshops or focusing your staff's professional growth in other areas of STEM best practices, we can accommodate you. Mix-and-match up to two full days of educator professional development for your staff’s STEM leaders.
- Online Resources for Pre- and Post-Visit Activities – Gain access to standards-aligned resources available before and after your visit to the Science Center. Materials are designed with eligible content in mind to strengthen your lesson plans.
- On-call Phone/Email Assistance – When you have a science question in the classroom or when you need lesson plan guidance, give us a call or send us an email. Our Science Educators are on-call to lend a hand, and our Teaching Excellence Academy package members will receive top priority.
Add-ons, offered at discounted rates, include:
- Additional coaching visits to facilitate STEM education at your school
- Coaching visit to demonstrate digital fabrication technology at your school
- STEM parent engagement opportunity at your school
- Summer STEM learning institute
- Mobile Fab Lab visit at your school
- Mobile Fab Lab teacher professional development at your school
- Teacher professional development workshops at Carnegie Science Center
- Additional professional development workshops at your school
Packages are affordable and customizable. Package pricing varies, dependent on district's free and reduced lunch eligibility.
For more information:
Jason Brown, Senior Director of Science and Education, 412.237.3399
Toni Stith, STEM Professional Development Coordinator, 412.237.1616