Butterfly WeekendDate: Jun 1, 2013
Carnegie Science Center and Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens are teaming up to host Butterfly Weekend on Saturday, June 1, and Sunday, June 2. The two-day celebration will give visitors a chance to learn about the life cycle of butterflies and discover why these amazing insects have a remarkable ability to navigate, orient, and migrate.
Saturday, June 1 at Carnegie Science Center
The Science Center will provide hands-on activities and science demos on Saturday from 10 am – 5 pm. Following are special features of Butterfly Weekend. All are free with general admission, except as noted.
- View life-size models of each stage of a butterfly's life cycle and see antennae and scales under a microscope. Visitors will learn about ultraviolet light and how butterflies see, as well as animal coloration.
- Create flip sticks that show the motion of a butterfly in flight in the Omnimax Lobby. Visitors will make butterfly snack bags in the Kitchen Theater at 11 am, 1 pm, and 3 pm.
- Enjoy a story time reading of "Monarch! Come Play with Me" at 11:30 am, 1:30 pm, and 3:30 pm.
- Experience the Science Center's live butterfly tent to learn about the Monarch's habitat. A few lucky visitors will have a chance to volunteer to feed the butterflies.
- Meet Scott Creary, entomologist and Butterfly Forest exhibit coordinator for Phipps.
- See Flight of the Butterflies, sponsored locally by Commonwealth Connections Academy, at the Rangos Omnimax Theater. Cost of tickets for members of Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh is $7 for adults and $5 for children; tickets for non-members cost $8 for adults and $6 for children. Click here for show times.
Sunday, June 2 at Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens
Phipps will continue the celebration on Sunday, June 2, by hosting butterfly tours and discovery stations, from 11 am – 4 pm.
- Join Scott Creary, entomologist and Butterfly Forest exhibit coordinator, for a "Behind the Butterflies" tour at 11 am, noon, 1 pm, and 2 pm. He will take visitors through the Butterfly Forest and into the Production Greenhouses to observe the butterfly lab. Tours can be reserved for $2 on the day of the event on a first come, first served basis, with a maximum of 15-20 per tour.
- Experience the Discovery Stations in the Children's Discovery Garden to create a craft, pot a plant that attracts butterflies, and more.
- View life-size models of each stage of a butterfly's life cycle and see antennae and scales under a microscope with Carnegie Science Center staff.
- Enjoy butterfly-themed snacks at Café Phipps.
Perk for Visitors! Visitors who present a Carnegie Science Center Flight of the Butterflies ticket stub at Phipps will receive $2 off general admission on Sunday, June 2. Visitors who bring their general admission ticket stub from Phipps to the Science Center will receive a $2 discount on general admission, June 1-14.
There are no times for this event in April
View times in